Sister Sallstrom's "farewell" talk was delivered June 23, 2013 at 11:00 AM. Those who spoke in that sacrament meeting all had great things to say about her. Those comments are displayed first, followed by Sister Sallstrom's talk.
You can download the audio for the talk here or click the play button below to listen to it:
Bishop Hadlow:
When I first moved into the ward, I didn't know if our sweet Mindy could speak or not. I remember my wife and I were taking the girls somewhere and Mindy didn't say a word before she got into the car, for the whole ride, and when we got back. I thought, "This poor little girl doesn't speak." I found out later that she can be a great leader and we're excited for her opportunity to serve a mission.
Sister Waddoups:
You can download the audio for the talk here or click the play button below to listen to it:
Bishop Hadlow:
When I first moved into the ward, I didn't know if our sweet Mindy could speak or not. I remember my wife and I were taking the girls somewhere and Mindy didn't say a word before she got into the car, for the whole ride, and when we got back. I thought, "This poor little girl doesn't speak." I found out later that she can be a great leader and we're excited for her opportunity to serve a mission.
Sister Waddoups:
I think one of Mindy's great gifts is that she also knows when not to speak. She's had a big impact on our family's life. Our little grandson happened to be over at the church during the week that the young men and women were having their mission week. He came come and he said, "I don't know her name, but there's a girl with red hair and she was was talking to me all about missions." He was so excited he wanted to go on a mission that day. When he came back home with my husband he wanted to change his clothes to go back to the church to the high priest group leader's meeting and put his suit on because he was going to be a missionary. I appreciate that ... and I know Mindy's going to be a great missionary and the people in Arizona are really blessed to have her.
Brother Waddoups:
Sister Sallstrom will have a multitude of opportunities to share the gospel in a multitude of ways. Not only in teaching lessons, but in doing service as well. Her musical talents will probably come in very handy, too, I would imagine. She has already proven to be diligent in her young life. If you've ever heard her bear her testimony, you know exactly whose side she's on - the Lord's.
Sister Sallstrom:
Thank you for that beautiful music. I'm so blessed to have so many people here that I love and I want to thank all of you for coming, especially those of you who came far. I just started crying because I was so happy just seeing all the people I love. I haven't even started my talk yet!
I'm happy to be able to give this talk. It feels like I've been waiting a long time to go on my mission. I got my call in February so it's been a little while. I'm so grateful for this opportunity to serve and I'm happy to be able to go. I don't even feel like I know the full weight of what I'm doing yet, but I know that I am so grateful to have grown up in this ward and to be able to be influenced by so many of you.
It is a little bit humbling to give this talk because my topic is what I did to prepare and I don't feel like I did anything amazing. I tried to do some things but it made me realize that I have faith that Heavenly Father has been preparing me my whole life. He knows me perfectly and he knows I'm ready.
I guess I just want to tell you about how the atonement has worked in my life and how it has helped me to grow closer to my Savior and my Heavenly Father. This is something we're all trying to do so hopefully you can learn some lessons.
It's a huge leap of faith for me to leave all of you because I love you so much. But I know it's worth it because there are people in Arizona that are waiting for me. I hope that maybe I'll be able to touch some lives and hopefully I'll love them as much as I love you.
I find comfort in Elder Holland's words. He says, "If it was right when you prayed about it and trusted it and looked for it, it is right now. Don't give up when the pressure mounts. If God has told you something is right, if something is indeed true for you, he will provide the way for you to accomplish it." ( BYU Devotional, Cast Not Away Therefore Your Confidence, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, March 2, 1999)
This promise is coming true as I've made my final preparations to go. My preparation began before I even came to this earth. In D&C 138 Joseph Smith received a revelation that even before they were born, the prophets, with many others, received their first blessings in the world of spirits and were preparing to come forth in the due time of the Lord to labor in his vineyard for the salvation of the souls of men. Heavenly Father has foreordained me to come to the earth at this time and to labor in his vineyard and to go on a mission to Arizona. Heavenly father has blessed me to be a part of a wonderful family. I have learned from all of them - even my brothers in law. I am so grateful for the ways that they have taught me.
Once, when I was about ten years old, my sister Camille let me sit on her bed when she did her scripture reading for seminary one night. This experience has left a strong impression on me and I knew that I wanted to read my scriptures like her. I felt the Spirit strongly and I knew that what she was doing was right.
Later, in high school, I tried to follow the example of my sister Eliza. I had seen how she served and loved others and how she helped include those who felt that they were not a part of the group. As I did this I realized that she was helping me to be more like Christ. It reminds me of a quote, "Live in such a way that people who know you but don't know Christ will want to know Christ because they know you." You'll never know what kind of influence you can have on others through your example.
Like all my sisters, my sister Emily has helped me to have faith in myself and in the Lord. Through her quiet example I have seen how Heavenly Father has shaped her and to perfect her and I will always think of her when I go running or go hiking. She has taught me to have faith in the Lord's timing.
My parents have both influenced me greatly. I realized this more as I moved away to college. I love to hear about my dad's experiences and his testimony and the things that he teaches me. My mom has given me the desire to serve and enjoy doing secret acts of service. Working alongside her has prepared me to serve for the rest of my life and I'm grateful for that.
My days in primary might not seem that long ago to some of you. Some of you may wonder if I remember anything I learned there, but I do remember a few things. If I remember right it was Sister Wood who had the primary class memorize the scripture Helaman 5:12 "And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall."
President Eyring said in this last General Conference "Many bishops in the Church are inspired to call the strongest people in the ward to serve individual children in the Primary. They realize that if the children are strengthened with faith and testimony, they will be less likely to need rescue as teenagers. They realize that a strong spiritual foundation can make the difference for a lifetime." (Henry B. Eyring, Help Them on Their Way Home, April 2010 General conference)
This statement is true, especially in my life. I have been to primary a few times in the last few weeks to sub for some teachers and I feel the Spirit there. I know that I was preparing for a mission even in primary. I want to thank all my primary teachers, my young women leader's my Sunday school teachers, and any other caring ward members who helped me. I am so grateful to have grown up in this ward.
Other activities like girl's camp, seminary, EFY, Trek, attending the temple and institute all helped me strengthen my testimony and helped me find my identity as a daughter of God. I can still remember the excitement and the joy I had in ninth grade when I was discovering how wonderful the scriptures are. I think I was on a spiritual high that entire year. I still look back at the faith that I had during my teenage years and I draw strength from that.
The first time I was brave enough to share my testimony was my first year at girl's camp. I'm grateful for the leaders and the girls who were supportive and who accepted me even though I didn't talk very much. I think they were a little bit surprised when they saw my true self because I was a little bit crazy when I had broken out of my shell. I will always cherish those experiences, especially when I became one of the older girls and I realized how much I could learn to love those girls that I had in young women's with me.
Right after President Monson made his big announcement, Elder Cook gave a talk and he asked a question from Alma 5: "If ye have experienced a change of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now? " My heart felt so full and I wanted to leave on my mission right then and there.
One of the first people that I asked for missionary advice was a missionary in my ward. He told me the best thing to do to prepare for a mission is to strengthen your relationship with Heavenly Father. It says in D&C 88:63 "Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." In order to try to draw nearer to God, I became more serious with my scripture study; I prayed more fervently, I fasted more. I served in my calling, I strived for greater obedience. During this time I felt His hand in my life so much.
About a month later I was faced with some emotional problems. Because I had that strong relationship with Heavenly Father I was able to still stay strong and through the help of my family was able to complete my mission papers. I learned that Lehi's advice to his son was true. It says, "Nevertheless, Jacob, my firstborn in the wilderness, thou knowest the greatness of God; and he shall consecrate thine afflictions for thy gain." (2 Nephi 2:2)
So I had faith that these afflictions that I had would help me to serve my mission and they would make me stronger. I tried to do as Nephi did in 1 Nephi 18:16 "Nevertheless, I did look unto my God, and I did praise him all the day long; and I did not murmur against the Lord because of mine afflictions." I think a big part of my healing and being able to have faith at that time was recognizing my blessings. One of my favorite seminary teachers, Brother Biden, told us, "If we magnified our blessings as much as we magnify our disappointments, we would all be much happier." I know that this is true because the more blessings you find, the more you have to be grateful for, and that's a good cycle.
I felt like my calling in my ward in the Relief Society presidency helped me a lot. It helped me to look past myself and be focused on others. I felt like that was my mini mission before I went on my mission. Another thing I tried to do was follow the advice of my stake president in Virginia. He promised me that if I dedicate all I did in my life to serve the Lord and to prepare for my mission, even if it was something like studying for a test, that Heavenly Father would help me to prepare in the ways that I needed to. I did this throughout the semester and I felt like the Lord had accepted my offering.
I learned that when we give our all to the Lord, when we reconcile ourselves to the will of God, and it is only through the grace of God, that our hearts become full. The atonement became real to me as I understood not just on an intellectual level, but as I felt it more deeply.
I had an experience when I was having a hard day. I tried everything - I tried to pray, I tried to read my scriptures. I was just struggling that day, so I decided to call my dad. I only had a few minutes to talk, and he didn't really know what to tell me, but as I hung up the phone I suddenly felt the peace that passes all understanding. I knew that in my suffering was not alone. The Lord was carrying me and he wanted to help me to feel His love. Once I opened my heart up I was filled with the Spirit and I knew that the feelings that I had were because I had a Savior.
These past few months being at home had a lot of ups and downs. Going to the temple, praying and reading my scriptures has helped a lot. Even though I haven't been perfect, being able to repent every day and rely on the Lord has helped me to overcome weaknesses. I have a long way to go. Even though I'm not perfect, I will continue to consecrate all my effort and all my time to the Lord. I know that He is preparing some great opportunities for the future.
I know that following the Gospel is the way for us to return to our Heavenly home. Whether we realize it or not, our spirits yearn to be there. Just like when we leave from our mission we're happy to go home, that's how we'll feel when we return home to our Heavenly Father. We'll feel at peace there, and we'll feel the lasting peace that comes from following the gospel.
By accepting the Savior's atonement to trust Him, and lay down our burdens of sin and pain, we can come unto him and be perfected through his grace. By taking small steps, as I try to do, we can grow closer to our Heavenly Father and feel of His love and His mercy. I know that it is a miracle that He can take us, as imperfect as we are, and create wonderful, wonderful miracles through our efforts.
I know that as we try to come closer to Heavenly Father, we will naturally want to draw others there too. As we do this, we will become even closer, and it will help not only us but those people that we've helped.
President Monson said, "Remember that this work is not yours and mine alone; it is the Lord's work. When we are on the Lord's errand, we are entitled to the Lord's help. Remember that whom the Lord calls, the Lord qualifies." I will try to remember this on my mission. I also think that this applies to everyone. When we respond to a prompting, when we fulfill our callings, when we try to be a missionary to others and share the love that we've felt, he will help us and He will strengthen us.
I want to bear my testimony of this great work that it is the Lord's work and it is His gospel. We just get to be a part of it, and we get to feel of the blessings that come from it. I know that as we strive to be a little better that we will feel that acceptance and that love that he wants to give us. I know that Joseph Smith is a prophet and that he truly did see God the Father and His son Jesus Christ. I know that families can be together forever. I know that it's more what we feel than what we know when we decide to be obedient to the gospel. When we feel the love of our Heavenly Father, we want to be good. I know that our Heavenly Father loves us and He wants us to with Him. I want to thank everyone again and I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Sister Sallstrom will have a multitude of opportunities to share the gospel in a multitude of ways. Not only in teaching lessons, but in doing service as well. Her musical talents will probably come in very handy, too, I would imagine. She has already proven to be diligent in her young life. If you've ever heard her bear her testimony, you know exactly whose side she's on - the Lord's.
Sister Sallstrom:
Thank you for that beautiful music. I'm so blessed to have so many people here that I love and I want to thank all of you for coming, especially those of you who came far. I just started crying because I was so happy just seeing all the people I love. I haven't even started my talk yet!
I'm happy to be able to give this talk. It feels like I've been waiting a long time to go on my mission. I got my call in February so it's been a little while. I'm so grateful for this opportunity to serve and I'm happy to be able to go. I don't even feel like I know the full weight of what I'm doing yet, but I know that I am so grateful to have grown up in this ward and to be able to be influenced by so many of you.
It is a little bit humbling to give this talk because my topic is what I did to prepare and I don't feel like I did anything amazing. I tried to do some things but it made me realize that I have faith that Heavenly Father has been preparing me my whole life. He knows me perfectly and he knows I'm ready.
I guess I just want to tell you about how the atonement has worked in my life and how it has helped me to grow closer to my Savior and my Heavenly Father. This is something we're all trying to do so hopefully you can learn some lessons.
It's a huge leap of faith for me to leave all of you because I love you so much. But I know it's worth it because there are people in Arizona that are waiting for me. I hope that maybe I'll be able to touch some lives and hopefully I'll love them as much as I love you.
I find comfort in Elder Holland's words. He says, "If it was right when you prayed about it and trusted it and looked for it, it is right now. Don't give up when the pressure mounts. If God has told you something is right, if something is indeed true for you, he will provide the way for you to accomplish it." ( BYU Devotional, Cast Not Away Therefore Your Confidence, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, March 2, 1999)
This promise is coming true as I've made my final preparations to go. My preparation began before I even came to this earth. In D&C 138 Joseph Smith received a revelation that even before they were born, the prophets, with many others, received their first blessings in the world of spirits and were preparing to come forth in the due time of the Lord to labor in his vineyard for the salvation of the souls of men. Heavenly Father has foreordained me to come to the earth at this time and to labor in his vineyard and to go on a mission to Arizona. Heavenly father has blessed me to be a part of a wonderful family. I have learned from all of them - even my brothers in law. I am so grateful for the ways that they have taught me.
Once, when I was about ten years old, my sister Camille let me sit on her bed when she did her scripture reading for seminary one night. This experience has left a strong impression on me and I knew that I wanted to read my scriptures like her. I felt the Spirit strongly and I knew that what she was doing was right.
Later, in high school, I tried to follow the example of my sister Eliza. I had seen how she served and loved others and how she helped include those who felt that they were not a part of the group. As I did this I realized that she was helping me to be more like Christ. It reminds me of a quote, "Live in such a way that people who know you but don't know Christ will want to know Christ because they know you." You'll never know what kind of influence you can have on others through your example.
Like all my sisters, my sister Emily has helped me to have faith in myself and in the Lord. Through her quiet example I have seen how Heavenly Father has shaped her and to perfect her and I will always think of her when I go running or go hiking. She has taught me to have faith in the Lord's timing.
My parents have both influenced me greatly. I realized this more as I moved away to college. I love to hear about my dad's experiences and his testimony and the things that he teaches me. My mom has given me the desire to serve and enjoy doing secret acts of service. Working alongside her has prepared me to serve for the rest of my life and I'm grateful for that.
My days in primary might not seem that long ago to some of you. Some of you may wonder if I remember anything I learned there, but I do remember a few things. If I remember right it was Sister Wood who had the primary class memorize the scripture Helaman 5:12 "And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall."
President Eyring said in this last General Conference "Many bishops in the Church are inspired to call the strongest people in the ward to serve individual children in the Primary. They realize that if the children are strengthened with faith and testimony, they will be less likely to need rescue as teenagers. They realize that a strong spiritual foundation can make the difference for a lifetime." (Henry B. Eyring, Help Them on Their Way Home, April 2010 General conference)
This statement is true, especially in my life. I have been to primary a few times in the last few weeks to sub for some teachers and I feel the Spirit there. I know that I was preparing for a mission even in primary. I want to thank all my primary teachers, my young women leader's my Sunday school teachers, and any other caring ward members who helped me. I am so grateful to have grown up in this ward.
Other activities like girl's camp, seminary, EFY, Trek, attending the temple and institute all helped me strengthen my testimony and helped me find my identity as a daughter of God. I can still remember the excitement and the joy I had in ninth grade when I was discovering how wonderful the scriptures are. I think I was on a spiritual high that entire year. I still look back at the faith that I had during my teenage years and I draw strength from that.
The first time I was brave enough to share my testimony was my first year at girl's camp. I'm grateful for the leaders and the girls who were supportive and who accepted me even though I didn't talk very much. I think they were a little bit surprised when they saw my true self because I was a little bit crazy when I had broken out of my shell. I will always cherish those experiences, especially when I became one of the older girls and I realized how much I could learn to love those girls that I had in young women's with me.
Right after President Monson made his big announcement, Elder Cook gave a talk and he asked a question from Alma 5: "If ye have experienced a change of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now? " My heart felt so full and I wanted to leave on my mission right then and there.
One of the first people that I asked for missionary advice was a missionary in my ward. He told me the best thing to do to prepare for a mission is to strengthen your relationship with Heavenly Father. It says in D&C 88:63 "Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." In order to try to draw nearer to God, I became more serious with my scripture study; I prayed more fervently, I fasted more. I served in my calling, I strived for greater obedience. During this time I felt His hand in my life so much.
About a month later I was faced with some emotional problems. Because I had that strong relationship with Heavenly Father I was able to still stay strong and through the help of my family was able to complete my mission papers. I learned that Lehi's advice to his son was true. It says, "Nevertheless, Jacob, my firstborn in the wilderness, thou knowest the greatness of God; and he shall consecrate thine afflictions for thy gain." (2 Nephi 2:2)
So I had faith that these afflictions that I had would help me to serve my mission and they would make me stronger. I tried to do as Nephi did in 1 Nephi 18:16 "Nevertheless, I did look unto my God, and I did praise him all the day long; and I did not murmur against the Lord because of mine afflictions." I think a big part of my healing and being able to have faith at that time was recognizing my blessings. One of my favorite seminary teachers, Brother Biden, told us, "If we magnified our blessings as much as we magnify our disappointments, we would all be much happier." I know that this is true because the more blessings you find, the more you have to be grateful for, and that's a good cycle.
I felt like my calling in my ward in the Relief Society presidency helped me a lot. It helped me to look past myself and be focused on others. I felt like that was my mini mission before I went on my mission. Another thing I tried to do was follow the advice of my stake president in Virginia. He promised me that if I dedicate all I did in my life to serve the Lord and to prepare for my mission, even if it was something like studying for a test, that Heavenly Father would help me to prepare in the ways that I needed to. I did this throughout the semester and I felt like the Lord had accepted my offering.
I learned that when we give our all to the Lord, when we reconcile ourselves to the will of God, and it is only through the grace of God, that our hearts become full. The atonement became real to me as I understood not just on an intellectual level, but as I felt it more deeply.
I had an experience when I was having a hard day. I tried everything - I tried to pray, I tried to read my scriptures. I was just struggling that day, so I decided to call my dad. I only had a few minutes to talk, and he didn't really know what to tell me, but as I hung up the phone I suddenly felt the peace that passes all understanding. I knew that in my suffering was not alone. The Lord was carrying me and he wanted to help me to feel His love. Once I opened my heart up I was filled with the Spirit and I knew that the feelings that I had were because I had a Savior.
These past few months being at home had a lot of ups and downs. Going to the temple, praying and reading my scriptures has helped a lot. Even though I haven't been perfect, being able to repent every day and rely on the Lord has helped me to overcome weaknesses. I have a long way to go. Even though I'm not perfect, I will continue to consecrate all my effort and all my time to the Lord. I know that He is preparing some great opportunities for the future.
I know that following the Gospel is the way for us to return to our Heavenly home. Whether we realize it or not, our spirits yearn to be there. Just like when we leave from our mission we're happy to go home, that's how we'll feel when we return home to our Heavenly Father. We'll feel at peace there, and we'll feel the lasting peace that comes from following the gospel.
By accepting the Savior's atonement to trust Him, and lay down our burdens of sin and pain, we can come unto him and be perfected through his grace. By taking small steps, as I try to do, we can grow closer to our Heavenly Father and feel of His love and His mercy. I know that it is a miracle that He can take us, as imperfect as we are, and create wonderful, wonderful miracles through our efforts.
I know that as we try to come closer to Heavenly Father, we will naturally want to draw others there too. As we do this, we will become even closer, and it will help not only us but those people that we've helped.
President Monson said, "Remember that this work is not yours and mine alone; it is the Lord's work. When we are on the Lord's errand, we are entitled to the Lord's help. Remember that whom the Lord calls, the Lord qualifies." I will try to remember this on my mission. I also think that this applies to everyone. When we respond to a prompting, when we fulfill our callings, when we try to be a missionary to others and share the love that we've felt, he will help us and He will strengthen us.
I want to bear my testimony of this great work that it is the Lord's work and it is His gospel. We just get to be a part of it, and we get to feel of the blessings that come from it. I know that as we strive to be a little better that we will feel that acceptance and that love that he wants to give us. I know that Joseph Smith is a prophet and that he truly did see God the Father and His son Jesus Christ. I know that families can be together forever. I know that it's more what we feel than what we know when we decide to be obedient to the gospel. When we feel the love of our Heavenly Father, we want to be good. I know that our Heavenly Father loves us and He wants us to with Him. I want to thank everyone again and I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment