Dear family,
It has been a wonderful week with many adventures, miracles, and learning opportunities. Sister White and I decided that our motto is "what an opportunity!" This means that whatever happens, we have the opportunity to let it grow closer to our Savior, develop more Christlike qualities, and become a better disciple. We have been working on being more positive and optimistic and being able to laugh at ourselves when we say this really helps. (The motto I had with Sister Thornhill was "Let's fly!" and the one I had with Siser Quiocho was "You can do it now!") It's fun to have a motto and have something to repeat that motivates us. I would highly recommend making your own personal or husband/wife motto.
We had a great thanksgiving!!! I'm grateful my stomach didn't explode, because we had two full meals!! We were eating almost non-stop for about 5 hours!!! It was crazy. We also had a miracle! One of the families we ate with is a part member family. During a conversation I felt the Spirit put into my mouth the words we needed to say in order to invite him to let us teach him. I was able to say, "Troy, have you ever had missionaries teach you before?" Then Sister White followed up and asked if he wanted us to come teach him and he excitedly accepted the inviation! It was really cool to see how the Spirit gave me the words in the very moment that I needed them, especially because I was feeling quite sick at this point and a little bit out of it from eating so much turkey and being sick. When it really matters and when we are seeking for the Spirit, the Lord blesses us with the right words. It was especially cool because Sister White and I had been sick all day (especially Sister White) and we decided to go to the dinners anyway. We were already stuffed, but we decided to go to this last dinner. We are so grateful we did! Now we have about 20 investigators. It's so crazy!! Only about 7 of them are progressing and only one will be baptized in December, but I feel like this area has gotten a lot stronger. It takes extra patience to be here for so long, but it is also a blessing to see how much good is happening.
We had a meeting with our stake president, President Willis, yesterday and he bore his testimony that we are called by the Lord at this specific time to this specific area. He testified that everything happens for a reason and that things will work together. We may not see the results right away, but our efforts aren't wasted. As he said these words, my heart filled with hope. Since we haven't been able to help any of our investigators to be baptized in September, October, or November I have felt a little down. I have questioned if I'm doing my best, then why wouldn't we see results? It's part of our mission statement that we "baptize monthly." Still, I have a stronger testimony now that the Lord works in His own time and His own ways. At least the missionaries who come here later will have good records and many people to teach. And for sure, I will work as hard as I can with the time I have left here. I will leave my companion and each investigator with my testimony and my example. Perhaps the greatest miracles I have seen have been in myself and how I have changed. It's truly a blessing to see how the Lord is helping me and strengthening me. I feel so much closer to Him than I ever have before.
One thing I love about my companion, Sister White, is that she has helped me improve and grow every day. A few things she has helped me with include not putting things off that we need to do, saying more meaningful prayers, and learning peoples' names quicker. She has also helped me see that if I want to and it's the Lord's will, I can achieve any goal. I just need to make a plan and follow it. Every day I try to have a focus and then work on it the entire day. Today mine is comforting those who need comfort. I read some scriptures about it and I hope to share some of them at the temple lights tonight. We also have a daily companionship focus. Today's is "interdependence." We don't want to work independently, by ourselves or dependently on each other, but with unity.
I am so grateful for the opportunity to host the temple lights!! We have had some amazing experiences!! Just last night, we were able to have almost non-stop gospel-centered conversations for our two hour shift. (Every night we go for different shifts.) As we prayed to know who to talk to, the people showed up in front of us and we were led to say what Heavenly Father wanted us to say. There was a point that Sister White invited a father to bear his testimony of Jesus Christ. At first, it felt a little weird for her to ask such a question, but as he did, his wife began to cry. We're not sure what that meant to them, but we know we were all touched by the Spirit. I treasure those experiences we get to have at the temple!
Yesterday we had an amazing experience. It has helped me ponder how greatly I'm blessed to see others' lives improve. We were teaching one of our new investigators, Tim, the plan of salvation. When we told him about how he lived with God before and that through Christ we can have hope, his eyes lit up. He smiled and looked into my eyes and told us that he never knew those things. To see him change right before our eyes and be able to bear my testimony... that experience was priceless! I can't believe I get to do this every day!! I can't believe that I take it for granted sometimes! I know this work is true and that it brings souls to Christ. I know the Gospel gives us more hope than anything else.
I have the best family in the world!!! I am so grateful for the Christmas package you sent me!!! We put it on our dark green couch (it's the closest thing to a Christmas tree we have, haha). Sister White is also extremely grateful.
I love you all!!!!!
Love, Sister Sallstrom
No comments:
Post a Comment