I have noticed that as I serve and my testimony grows, I don't always have the words to describe the feelings I have or the things I am learning. There's a missionary song by the Tribute Band that repeats this phrase: "bringing souls to Christ," and I can't stop thinking about it. To me, it describes the joy and the privilege it is to participate in the Lord's work, to be an instrument in bringing souls to Him. It guess it's close to the feeling Ammon had when he said,
My joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God.
I love this work! I'm so glad I have another 6 months to serve full time.Alma 26:11
Another thing I have been thinking about is how much I have grown in the past year and how I will continue to grow and continue to be a lifelong missionary when I go home. In the past year I have come to know Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ in a way I never had before. My life was changed in the MTC as I learned the gospel in a different way than I ever had before. When we were there we focused on who God is and His characteristics. We focused on learning and teaching in a way that would help us be agents to act for ourselves and to help our investigators do the same. I learned the doctrine of Christ and realized the simplicity, the depth, and the beauty of the gospel. While in the MTC I also began to realize the cost of being a disciple of Christ. Along with the amazing joys, I also began to realize how hard it would be. Yesterday two youth from our ward gave their talks before going to the MTC. The spirit was strong, but I also reflected on my experiences of leaving and how I sensed how hard it would be, but I had no idea what I was getting into. The past year has been so SO good, but it's also been really hard. That's why I like to say this is the best 18 months for my life instead of the best 18 months of my life.
When I got to the field I began to understand how hard it would be. I felt so alone at times because I was pretty isolated from other sisters and my MTC buddies. It was during those times and other periods where I grew the most. I really learned how to pray and connect with Heavenly Father. I learned better how His answers came and how simply trusting Him could sustain me day by day. The scriptures have become such a life-saving resource for me. I have found a handful of sculptures that have helped me have hope, that I would turn to over and over and give me strength. I have grown in being able to recognize the help God sends. Whenever a member or anyone else reaches out with love, I know God is aware of me and is taking care of my needs.
As I've learned on my mission, I have come to appreciate and love the gospel more and the covenants I have made. When I take the sacrament, I am a little better at thinking of Christ. I realize that any success I have is because of Him and that He has already felt any struggle or disappointment I feel. I am a little more appreciative of what Christ did for me because I have studied and understand a little better what exactly He went through. I love Him and I treasure the opportunities I have to testify of Him. I know He lives! I know that He has overcome all things, He has descended below the darkness and wickedness of the world and made a way for us to be happy and have peace. He knows us personally and wants to help us. He will forgive us, enable us, and empower is to live life more fully. We can be clean every week as we take the sacrament! We can have a mini New Year's Day and make goals for the next week. We can try harder and be a little better. The gospel is a beautiful thing!
Something I have learned just this week or realized is that I am okay not receiving answers all at once. I have been praying for weeks about a concern I have and I wanted to know how it would work out. Instead, the answer has come a little at a time, like a sunrise. He gives me just enough to keep going a few steps. (Watch the Mormon Message Discerning Light: Spirit of Revelation!)
I knew this before, but it's only as I experience it that I'm really learning.
I have developed a lot in the last year, but I know I still have a long way to go. I have so much to learn and I am excited! My foundation is stronger now and I am more confident in The Lord that He will lead me through anything. I am a work in progress. I will not be perfect when I go home, but I want to go home with the tools that will help me keep learning, growing, changing, and sharing the gospel for the rest of my life. I want to become who The Lord wants me to be. I know The Lord will mold me as I seek Him, make goals and plans, and act in faith. This is a great pattern for progressing in life!
This week has been one of the best of my mission! Sister Hollist and I are best friends. We are so similar to each other, it's eery. We just click. We both appreciate this a lot because we have both had companionships that were not as easy. Our studies together are the bomb! We learn so much from each other and we talk about what we learned throughout the day. No matter what we are doing, we have fun. We build each other up and help each other see the good in every situation. We laugh so much!! In church yesterday we were singing Praise to the Man and we were going super slow. We looked at each other and we cracked up! We could not stop laughing! I was able to be silent but she was laughing really loud. It didn't help that we were feeling super tired... Everything is more funny when you're tired. We were embarrassed, but at least the ward knows we have fun together.
Another great thing that we do together is talk with everyone! Even those who don't look like they want to talk, we just go for it. You never know who is prepared! One lady at our apartment complex started talking to us and we actually got to teach her. We learn that every time we decide to talk to someone we are inviting The Lord to bring miracles to our work.
This week we also got to have a mini vacation! We went to get our car fixed (the trunk wouldn't open from the inside... Our vehicle coordinator told us to go get it fixed) so we went a whole 20 minutes away to the Toyota dealership. It was on he edge of the mission and we even got to drive on the freeway! We were there all morning and it felt like an airport. There were lots of people, comfy chairs, and the TVs were on with the World Cup (it was only a little hard not to watch). We got to eat popcorn and do our studies there and it was lots of fun! That is probably the only vacation I will get on my mission, haha.
Another awesome thing that happened is that a brother in our ward called us and said he was home teaching when he realized that some of the family members were not baptized. He taught them and then offered to have us teach them. They said yes!! And they were excited!! When we got the voicemail we couldn't stop screaming we were so happy! (We were in the car, don't worry) then we couldn't stop laughing because we were so happy and it was funny how much we were screaming.
This week we also got to help in a special service project that President Jenkins asked us to do. We just happened to be in the mission office at the right time. There's a program the church does for people in prison and there are worksheets they do. We got to write responses to their answers and give them encouragement. It was a packet of about 10 papers and there are about six different packets they do. I hope we get to do it again this week! It's cool to think of how this might change their lives. It also changed me as I realized that just like them, I have sinned and need to accept the gospel. The packet was all about the beatitudes and I've always wanted to learn more about them so it was great.
It's such a tender mercy that Sister Hollist and I get to be together for her last 4 weeks. She is leaving exactly 2 weeks from today. I will probably get a sister who's in a trio right now. I'm not too worried though. I'm slowly learning the wards and remembering names better. Thanks for your prayers!
Every little thing we do to try to help people: showing them love, helping them, serving them, or sharing the gospel-- it's all worth it! Every little bit counts! No act of kindness is wasted. It's like we are dripping small drops into someone's bucket and one day it will overflow and they will accept the gospel. It doesn't matter if we drip in the last drop or the first. It all helps that person accept the gospel. Keep sharing the gospel! It's all worth it!
I love you all! Thanks for your great examples. I learned to be a missionary by learning how to do service, how to share my testimony, and how to be courageous. Have a fantastic week!!!
Love, Sister Sallstrom
------------
Pictures included in this letter:
June 29, 2014 - Mexican hotdogs!!
No comments:
Post a Comment