It has been a wonderful, pizza-filled week! We had pizza 4 times and was offered it one more time. It was hilarious! Every time we got it again we would look at each other and smile. The lucky thing is that we had different pizza every night... One from Pizza Hut (the one we bought), one was double stuffed from Little Cesar's, one was home-made, and one was from Papa Murphy's (my favorite chicken pizza!) I enjoyed having pizza a lot, but Sister Clancy is not a big fan of it. We are both joking that eating it so much this week has made our faces break out.... Oh well! We are very grateful we get dinner served to us every night. This will never happen again, as long as I live (unless I go to a care center when I'm old, but I'm not going to think about that!)
One of the reasons this week has been so good is that we had a great district meeting and Elder Earl, our district leader, inspired us to become 100% responsible. This means that we don't blame anyone or any circumstances for how things are going. It means that we don't spend time feeling bad for ourselves or feeling self-pity. It means that we take charge of a situation and act on promptings we receive. It means that we do every single thing in our power to help our investigators progress. It means that we take control of our lives and make the choice of the way we will spend our missions, what we will make of every situation. Being responsible helps us realize that we really are in control of more than we think. There's a lot that we can't control (like people not keeping appointments) but there is more that we can control. Sister Clancy and I have really tried to take this to heart. I have felt so much happier as I've focused on this. It has even helped us to be more punctual. The great thing is that we are both working on it together and helping each other. We are helping and lifting one another. This is what companionship is all about! I love it!
I am grateful that The Lord has helped me make one of my weaknesses stronger and more of a strength for me. I have sometimes felt awkward talking to people and at times I felt like I wasn't good at communicating. This was especially hard on my mission at the beginning. I felt really inadequate at times. A few days ago I realized that this weakness has become more of a strength because I continually ask for help with this. I have noticed that it's easier for me to express my feelings and to help others understand what I'm trying to say. I've also noticed that it might be a strength that I have a hard time with communicating because I understand people who also struggle with it.
I know that the promise in Ether 12:27 is true. I have seen it and experienced it. I know I will continually improve and keep learning. The longer I am on my mission, the more I see my weaknesses, but at the same time, it's a blessing because I see where I need to improve and I don't get down on myself as much because I know this is what life is about! :)
And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.Last night we had a wonderful experience of teaching a Romanian lady and her dad. Her name is Corina and she is next door neighbors with a ward missionary. Corina got home recently from Papa New Guinea on a mission for her church, distributing bibles to people there and helping in other ways. She is an amazing lady who really knows the bible and really exemplifies Jesus Christ. We ate dinner with them, listened to her as she showed us pictures from her mission, and then she let us teach her and her dad. Her dad doesn't speak English, so she translated for him and both of them were actually pretty open! They both want to read the Book of Mormon and they say they have Mormon friends. The Spirit was so strong and it was cool to see how it made sense to them, because everything we believe, about the Book of Mormon and prophets lines up with the Bible. It is so special to teach someone and have them see the significance of what we are teaching. Corina's father will go back to Romania soon and she is going to be extremely busy, but we are going to get him a Book of Mormon in Romanian and try to contact her soon so we can keep teaching her.
We found out recently that Russell M. Nielsen is coming to our mission in September!!! We are so excited. He is in charge of missionary work over the whole church and he wants to shake all of our hands when he comes. We are so blessed!!!
Sister Clancy has been teaching me words from Australia since I've been with her. I love hearing what they call different things. Here are some of my favorite from this past week..
- Shopping cart: trolley
- Trunk (of the car): boot
- Hood (of the car): bonnet
- Braid: plait
- Tennis shoes: joggers
- Call: ring (ex: will you please ring Sister so-and-so?)
- Cell phone: mobile
- Gas (for the car): petrol
- Sweat shirt: jumper
Sometimes I have to translate for Sister Clancy because people don't understand her. She also has a soft voice, so people don't always realize that she has an accent. Everyone loves her accent though! It's great because everyone wants to talk about Australia.
I have never been happier in my life! I love serving The Lord and making goals. I am currently reading Jesus the Christ and I am loving it! I am excited to be more of a reader when I go home. I want to be more refined and read the classics and listen to the best music. We have learned that the closer we get to God, the more we think that refined things are beautiful.
One of the greatest blessings of a mission is that these relationships will last forever. When I leave someone or say goodbye, we say, "It's okay, we are friends on Facebook." I love these people so much--- the investigators and the members, my mission companions, missionary friends, and my mission leaders. I want to appreciate every moment with these people! I want to cherish the relationships and let the gospel bind us together in love and unity. Another blessing is that I am learning lessons of life. I am grateful for all the opportunities I've had to stretch and grow. I want to make sure these changes are permanent. I am currently writing commitments down for myself for things I will and will not do after my mission. There won't be too many, but this is a good opportunity for me to make these decisions now.
I know that the Atonement of Jesus Christ has the power to change lives. It is only in Christ's restored Gospel that we are able to receive all of the blessings of the Atonement and receive the fullness of joy that Heavenly Father wants for all His children. What a blessing it is to be called to represent Christ and to offer my brothers and sisters this gift!! How great is my calling. I want to live up to this every day.
Have a fantastic week!!! Keep being great missionaries!! :) Thanks for all you do for me and all the prayers. Could you please pray especially for Carli? She's a 16 year old girl who wants to be baptized but there may be some challenges with her family (they are members, but less active.) Thanks so much!!!! I love you all.
Love, Sister Sallstrom
No comments:
Post a Comment