Monday, October 13, 2014

Prayers Answered!

Dear family,

I hope you all had a wonderful week! I'm happy to report that I'm feeling about 30 times better than I was last P-day. I am so grateful for the experiences I had this week and I'm grateful for all your prayers and concern. I'm also grateful for all the birthday letters and emails!! Thank you so much!!

As I was thinking yesterday, everything that happened in the past week has been all about prayers being answered. My testimony has been strengthened so much about how our Heavenly Father really does hear us when we pray and that He answers our prayers exactly how we need them to be answered in order for us to learn the most and grow.

It all started a few weeks ago when I realized that I had a weakness that I wanted to work on. I realized that sometimes I can be too much of a perfectionist and try to control everything and make sure it's perfect. Luckily, Sister Clancy is really patient with me and she's understanding. She is also more laid back and relaxed. This is when I decided to praying for the ability to work hard and do all things in my power and still be able to have peace and to stand still and trust that the Lord would help everything to work out.

Getting sick was an answer to my prayers! Even though it was a harrowing experience and one that I don't want to repeat, I am grateful for everything I learned as I went through that trial. For five days, from Saturday to Wednesday I couldn't do missionary work like I'm used to. At my sickest point, I couldn't even think about missionary work. What I learned is that I had to let go and trust the Lord and trust Sister Clancy that things would work out. I had to let go of my tight grip on everything and just let things happen. In the process I realized that I could still have peace. I could still do everything in my power (read scriptures, watch Mormon Messages, make phone calls and texts and sleep and take medicine) and then trust that it would work out.

Last Monday afternoon I was feeling pretty discouraged. I was resting at a member's house and decided to watch Mormon Messages because I couldn't sleep, but I was in too much pain to do anything else. As I was watching them I had the distinct impression that I needed to go to the doctor that day. I jumped up, found the phone, and called Sister Jenkins. As I was talking to her she told me she would try to get ahold of the doctor and she warned me that other missionaries have had to go home when they've had pilonidal cysts.

At this point, my whole mission life flashed before me. I had no idea if I would have to go home to get surgery and yet I had the strongest feeling of peace come over me. I knew I had done everything I could, that I was doing my very best. I prayed for strength and courage and I knew that whatever happened, it was meant to be. It was out of my control at that point, but I knew I could accept the Lord's will.

The mission doctor was able to get me in, at the very end of his day. He drained my cyst and packed it with gauze. I went back two days later and had it taken out and luckily, it had finished draining. The next day if felt back to normal! It was a miracle how fast it healed!

Here are a few things I am super grateful for now that my cyst is gone:
  1. Sleeping on my back and not waking up at all hours of the night
  2. Sitting on chairs comfortably
  3. Going over speed bumps and not shrinking from pain (there's a lot of them here)
  4. Not having to take medicine every four hours
  5. Being able to empathize with others who are sick
  6. Being able to exercise in the mornings again
  7. Being able to do normal missionary things without pain
  8. Being a missionary and having time left to serve
I'm amazed at how many prayers were answered this week. I prayed to be able to go to the mission activities this week (zone training meeting and the temple trip) and I was able to go!



I was in a lot of pain at the time, but at least I didn't have to miss out. On my birthday I was still in quite a bit of pain, but I was so grateful for how many people reached out to me. I got letters, phone calls, cake, bread, gift cards, a package, a CD, and money from family and friends. I'm so grateful! It was a very memorable birthday.


This week we also had a few people come to church who have never come before! I have been praying and fasting for our investigators who are getting baptized soon and they're progressing more than they were before. Hooray! Yesterday I couldn't help but bear my testimony in sacrament meeting. I have felt my testimony grow so much stronger in the past week.

I am still not 100% better and that has been a little hard to accept, but I'm grateful for the lessons I will learn as I continue to heal. I still have a fever from time to time and I still feel really tired and sluggish. A member in our ward consulted his mom (who's a herbalist) and she says I probably have a virus in my bones. That can take about a month to heal because bones take so long to regenerate. I am taking lots of herbs to help me and I'm trying to rest as much as possible, but it will still take about three more weeks to heal.

One important thing that helped me as I was really really sick last week is to realize that being sick and having trials is a natural part of life in our fallen mortal world. Just accepting this and realizing that it happens to everyone helped me. I also took comfort to know that sometimes we get trials, not because of our own disobedience, but because we are doing what's right and the Lord knows how much we will grow with this opportunity. I'm grateful for the opportunity to be stretched and molded. It hurts a lot sometimes and it can be very uncomfortable, but when we do small actions of faith, we grow exponentially. Those small day to day decisions really are what make us who we become. Doing the small things during trials, like praying and turning to scriptures is what will make us strong.

Thanks for all your prayers on my behalf. I felt the power of so many people praying for me. I know the priesthood power is real and that there is true power when we all come together for one cause. I'm so grateful for everyone who took care of me this week and throughout my whole mission. I cry every time I read or hear this scripture because it applies to my situation so much:
For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
 Matthew 25

Have a wonderful week!! Keep sharing the gospel!! Remember, "Devoted disciples of Jesus Christ always have been and always will be valiant missionaries." I love you all!!! WIll you also pray for Carli (she's getting baptized in 12 days!!!), Rebecca (she's getting baptized on November 1), and Cheryl?? Thank you so much!!! I love you all.

Hurrah for Isreal!! :)

Love, Sister Sallstrom

----

Pictures included with this letter

The night I started to feel better


 This is an activity we do with kids at the visited center. It was fun to see them act! This shows the ten lepers.

(no caption)

No comments:

Post a Comment