Monday, May 5, 2014

Called to know the richness of His Blessings!

Dear family,

A lot has happened in the past week! I am doing a lot better and things make more sense to me than they did last week. My companion, Sister Clift, went home on Friday morning. The missionary medical team decided she needed to go home and get lots of testing and get better and then she might be able to come back. I think the hardest of her being sick is that our relationship suffered. She had no extra energy to put into our companionship and the last of it was spent when we taught lessons and were around other people. It was also hard because it was ongoing. She got sick 2 weeks into our first transfer together and never got better, so it was for about 8 weeks that I tried to carry the load to try to not put too much on her.

Right now I'm kind of flying solo. It's actually fun. I live with sisters and I'm with them at night and in the morning and then I go out with sisters of the ward during the day. The sisters here volunteered to go out with me and I am all set until Wednesday when I get my new companion. Speaking of, Sister Evans is my new companion!!!! She is one transfer younger than me and I knew her from a past district. She is awesome!!! I'm really excited because she is a hard worker and I can feel that we are meant to be together.

On Saturday I got to go to the baptism of my favorite investigator, Terri, from my last area. She is in her 40's and has had a really hard life. She has worked in bars and has moved around a lot with her teenage son. She has always been spiritual, but she always felt like there was more than the Catholic Church had to offer. Our bishop from that ward had served her family for 20 years and then last November she was touched when he helped her move in and asked him if she could learn more about our church. She is just so grateful and so close to Heavenly Father! Her prayers are the most sincere I have ever heard. She asked me to give a talk and it went really well. I also got to help her in the dressing room and we got to talk a lot. She told me how much it meant for Sister White and I to teach her. Her mom even thanked me because she's so happy for her daughter that she finally found what has made her so happy. Seeing her faith and happiness and the blessings of her being baptized has changed my life. I know that the gospel really is what helps us have true peace and meaning in life. I know that I was meant to meet Terri on my mission. I hope I never lose contact with her. Her son, Tyler, who is 13 is also getting baptized soon. My new investigator, Pamela, was also able to go to the baptism and she loved it! She's going to be baptized in June!


Yesterday I wasn't expecting to, but I bore my testimony in church. I think it's because I can't contain the joy I feel from this work and how much I have been able to learn during this transfer. Yesterday was also one year from when I received my endowment! I have felt he power from keeping my covenants and doing my best to be more converted. I'm also grateful for all of your prayers! During quiet moments I can literally feel the power of the prayers that are being said for me and all missionaries. It's cool to think that prayers are being said 24 hours a day for us.

We went on a hike is morning to the wind caves! It was super fun. We had about 25 missionaries there and we hiked to the top of the mountain. While we were up there we sang "I'll Go Where You Want Me to Go" and "High on a Mountain Top." The desert is so pretty!




We also had our district party last week. It was fun. We are so spoiled here! We played tennis and soccer in their backyard and made pizzas in the family's outside pizza oven. The members are so good to us!


It has been a little awkward going to dinners by myself. It's a little hard for me to eat because I get to answer every question they ask.

I have learned that every missionary (and person) has his or her own purpose and role in a mission and in life. At times I have compared myself with others and wished I could be more like them, but I'm learning to appreciate the things The Lord has in store for me and my unique talents. I know He will use my strengths in the ways He needs. I have asked for and felt Heavenly Father's love and how pleased He is with me.

Another thing I'm learning about and working on is being grateful in any circumstance. President Ucthdorf's talk is so good! I love that being grateful is an act of faith. It helps us be happy and helps us exercise our testimony. I'm grateful for where I am right now! I'm grateful for all of you!!

I'm not sure what time you all want to skype. I want to do it on FaceTime if that will work. Is 7:00 okay? I want to talk to everyone... Even Camille and Eliza where they are. I will call home first and then everyone can get set up. Also, could you all think of questions to ask me?? It can be a little awkward when I don't know what to tell all of you. I'm excited though!! I love you all!!! Have a wonderful week!!!

Love, Sister Sallstrom

------

Sister Sallstrom also included these pictures but I couldn't find any reference to them. See below.

May 5, 2014 - Picking fruit, new purse?



--------------------

May 1, 2014 - Sister Missionaries





No comments:

Post a Comment