Dear family,
Something I have learned this week is that when we have the greatest trials we have the greatest opportunities to exercise our faith and many times, that's when we have the faith necessary to facilitate miracles. Sister Evans and I saw this happen this week so many times. We have both had a hard time, but we have come together and decided we are going to work hard and trust in the Lord. We saw miracles every day this week!! We had 6 new investigators and taught more lessons than we have in our area for a long time! I thought of all of our combined prayers to be able to find new investigators and now the Lord is showing forth His mighty hand. I'm grateful for the bond that Sister Evans and I have made as we have worked together. We know the Lord has great things in store for this area and wants us to be strong to be His instruments, but we also know that the adversary wants us to not be able to do the work.
Here's a few miracles that happened... In our planning we decided to visit a missionary-minded family. I thought of the Rowley family and we tried all day trying to get ahold of Brother Rowley. Fortunately, even with their busy schedules we were able to meet with them. This family is awesome! They have a racquetball court in their house and Brother Rowley (a member of the bishopric) is one of the best missionaries I've ever met. We talked to them about their nonmember friends and he mentioned that a guy he works with, Charlie, was coming over the next day and we could stop by and say hi. Well we did and amazingly, Charlie had prayed for 3 hours the night before that God would help him find direction. He was really open to learn more and is excited to read he Book of Mormon. The cool thing is that it all seemed so easy. The Lord helped make the timing right in Charlie's life and in our schedule. We are excited to teach Charlie. He's in his 60's and is pretty rough around the edges. He used to be in a motorcycle gang and has had problems with drugs. He has such strong faith though!
Another miracle happened on Thursday. We had about 30 minutes of time to go visit someone and we decided to visit the Vowell family. The RS president gave us their name along with many others when we first got here in February, but we have never had time to go visit them. They are nonmembers who lost their teenage son last year on July 4 and the ward helped them with the funeral. They let us in and somehow, we had an immediate bond with them. The wife opened up to us and we testified of eternal families. They had never been open to meeting with missionaries before, but now they are ready.
The funny thing is that 5 of the 6 new investigators from this week live on our bishop's street. He has done a lot to serve and befriend his neighbors and it's paying off. Another miracle that happened was on Saturday. Sister Evans is a sister training leader so she went in exchanges with some other sisters and I went out with members of the ward. (I'm getting pretty used to being a single missionary now.) it was getting late so we went to one last house, a lady named Nora. She was unusually welcoming and really opened up to us about her life and her religious background. I gave her a Book of Mormon and she said she was actually wanting to read it and didn't know where to find one. She is interested and said we could teach her, but she said she "wasn't going to change..." We laughed at her after because this is usually what people say before the Spirit touches them and they suddenly want to change.
Something great about Sister Evans is that she doesn't take no for an answer. This kind of makes her sound pushy, but really she's just full of fire and a strong testimony. We are great teachers together because I'm a little more gentle and kind and she is blunt and forward with people. I love that both of us have strong desires to do the work. We are very united in the work. I lead in the area because I have been here longer and she leads in other ways and it works out.
In a way I feel like I'm at the beginning of my mission again. I'm learning a lot from Sister Evans: her boldness, her focus on our purpose, and her ability to not stress. It's nice to be around someone who is relaxed and yet focuses on the work. She has a talent for talking with people in the street and tracting. It's actually fun to do those things now!
Because we know we can't do this without the Lord, we have come up with a plan to focus on Christ during our struggles, to pray sincerely together, and to bear our testimony to each other frequently. The Lord is leading us along! Even though it has still been hard for me emotionally, things are better and The Lord is helping me bear my burdens with more ease. Thanks for all your prayers!!
Here are some crazy/ interesting things that happened this week... We went in a care center with two other sisters and with three guys who play harmonicas. We sang lots of different songs and we didn't do a great job (I'm a perfectionist), but it was fun! We got to cheer them up a lot. Also, we got to go out with an eighty-nine year old widow on Monday night (you might have seen the picture on Facebook).
Sister Evan's dad served in the Phoenix mission the same time she was serving there so they knew each other. We went around the 55+ community and talked to people about family history. I love that Sister Evans taught her how to do the rock on sign!
We get to sing the EFY medley with our zone for zone conference! It was fun to sing again with a group and it's such a special experience to sing with other missionaries. This week we visited a member who has a viola so Sister Evans and I got to play together. (She plays the piano) It was soooo fun and we sounded good! We might play in sacrament meeting.
Yesterday we gave talks in church! Sister Evans sent me a message through airdrop while I was talking and I can't believe that we have that kind of technology. We also get to play sports today! I strained my back so I can't play much, but it's still fun to be around other missionaries.
Sorry this is so long! I just thought of something else I have learned this week. Heavenly Father really does know us and is constantly aware of our needs, but we don't always recognize the way He is helping us. I had no idea that sister training leaders reported straight to President Jenkins after exchanges, but this is the way he takes care of the missionaries. Even when we are struggling, he works through others to meet our needs. I can look back and see how I was blessed with amazing zone leaders and district leaders in my first few transfers and this is what I needed. I was being supported in the ways I needed, even when it's not exactly how we want. His ways are not our ways, but we can always trust Him that as long as we do our best, He will be with us.
Have a fantastic week! I'm excited to hear about your missionary experiences! (Especially the simple and everyday ones)
Thanks for being great! Keep doing the things that help you feel the Spirit and cultivate your relationship with Heavenly Father. Have a wonderful week!!
Love, Sister Sallstrom
No comments:
Post a Comment